Sunday, April 3, 2011
Movin' On
It's a question that's as old as relationships themselves; when to move on. Personally I've struggled with that a few times in my past relationships. What I've found is, when it's time to move on, you just know. Often the writing will be on the wall but both parties ignore it. The relationship'll be over but nobody will say it. So you wind up going through the motions, half heartedly, hoping against hope that your partner will end it. The sex becomes routine, and thats if you're even still having sex. The affection goes away. The littlest thing will start to piss you off. The love may still be there, but not like it was. And that's understandable. People grow apart. But there's no need to hold on just for the sake of holding on. Breaking up, for the most part, is hard to do. Nobody wants to deal with the tears, heartache and bad blood that may arise. But at what point is hanging in there worth your happiness?
We're creatures of habit and slaves to comfort, and relationships are prime examples of that. That's why we put up with so much bullshit when we really shouldn't. We don't want to lose this things we've grown accustomed to. We put with the lying, the cheating, the excuses. We tolerate the shortcomings, the disrespect, and the abuse. Because we hope things will get better. We convince ourselves that things will be different next time. And then when we're finally fed up, and about to move on, the person changes just enough for you to reconsider. Now, can people change? Of course they can. But for the most part, if someone can see they can get away with something, they usually will. Parting words... When someone shows you who they are, believe them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I very much agree!! Change is difficult under most circumstances I myself can relate. I enjoyed your insightful thoughts. Thank you for sharing. ~Sy
ReplyDeleteVery well said. I've experienced this before too. It's hard to let go of what we've become comfortable with a walk into the unknown. I think that for the most part people continue going thru the motions of a relationship, when its clearly over, simply because its easier than dealing with the emotional pain of a breakup. Sometimes a person may just need some time to deal with personal issues that are independent of the relationship. It's very hard to decide when its worth sticking it out & when its time to move on. But I've learned from experience that if you feel ready to let go, be sure because you may not be able to get that person back if you realize you should have stuck with them. Great post!
ReplyDeleteWe often run away from reality and in the jest of getting away from a bad relation we stop only to realize we gain nothing but regret... well said!
ReplyDeletePeople get complacent and decide to stick it out because it's easier than starting over. I've come to a point now where I refuse to sacrifice my happiness just to please someone else. Sometimes we have to step out of our comfy little box to realize there's much more to life than mediocre satisfaction.
ReplyDeleteGreat post.